I ease family tension by helping students develop effective study skills and organization habits that promote academic success and instill confidence.
So you can go from this:
“Mom, you don’t know what you’re talking about! My teacher hasn’t updated my grades yet!” (cue door slam)
“I really like working with Lindsay. My grades went up, and I feel better!”
I have tutored over 1400 students privately and in community settings. I welcome the opportunity to support you and your child in his/her academic endeavors. I work with students ages 6-18 on an individual or group basis at my home office in San Mateo, CA.
A message from Lindsay
I have a Masters in Counseling Psychology and 25 years of tutoring experience. I am comfortable and well-equipped to handle a wide variety of subject matter and emotional issues. Learn more about me.
Not everyone fits the typical “school mold.”
Grades often do not reflect a student’s aptitude and innate abilities. The typical school model only teaches in one way and generally does not make room for different kinds of learners. Tutoring is an important tool to help a student discover his/her natural ability to learn, to achieve, to excel and to have a rich and fulfilling academic experience.
Since not all students fit the school mold, some fall through the cracks. These learners thrive in a one-on-one environment.
I tailor my instruction to your student’s interests and strengths.
Traditionally, students learn through their senses, primarily through visual and auditory modes. I am flexible in my teaching methods and tailor my instruction to meet individual student needs. I realize and appreciate that students of different ages and different circumstances learn in different ways. I value the importance of developing effective, personalized study skills and solid study habits.
I am a firm believer in creating and cultivating a fun-filled, shame-free and motivating academic environment. I use flash cards, develop mnemonic devices, and improvise academic games to enliven the learning process. I tap into the unique hobbies and interests of each student using the child’s language and experiences as a launching point for his/her understanding.
I act as your child’s educator, mentor, cheerleader, confidante and collaborator.
I view the tutoring relationship as a collaborative effort between the student, the parent, the teacher and me. There appears to be something in the dynamic of the parent/child relationship that makes it difficult to work with your own child. Bringing in a third party helps ease family tension and can create a more harmonious parent/child educational experience. I tell parents that I will be the homework nag so that they do not have to be.
After spending a fortune on several so-called tutoring companies, we decided to give Lindsay a try. My husband and I noticed a change in Jake’s attitude towards school almost immediately. He is so much more motivated and we have seen such an improvement in his grades and his willingness to work. Lindsay has been such a lifesaver!
Is your child a good fit for Learning with Lindsay?
I welcome the opportunity to work with your child if any of the following apply:
- Your child needs more individualized attention than the current teacher/student ratio can provide.
- Your child has difficulty balancing achievement in multiple subjects.
- Your child may have a learning disability such as attention deficit disorder (ADD, ADHD), auditory processing difficulty or issues of executive functioning and needs to be taught in a creative and flexible manner.
- Your child may be facing failure or shame at school; he/she may not connect with his/her teacher and therefore shuts down and stops trying to achieve.
- Your child may be struggling with emotional issues due to life stressors or may have test-related anxiety.
- Your child may be gifted and bored or under-stimulated at school.
- You want support for your child with standardized testing and the application process for private middle/high schools or colleges.
- Your child may not have learned the basic concepts to have a solid foundation upon which to build.